Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Invisible Woman

I walk in the mornings. I leave the house between 6:30 and 7:00. I've tried to change this many times just to avoid people, but as most, I'm stuck in a routine. So weekdays, depending on my path, I pass many teenage school bus stops, several solo teenage stragglers, and one grumpy old man who looks as though he thinks I'm going to grab him. Since I am a woman of a certain age, these teens do not deem me worthy of acknowledgement, not a nod and certainly not a return "good morning." Today I decided I would play my role of invisible woman properly and not disturb anyone with a gracious good morning greeting. This feels odd to me as I don't particularly like to be rude on purpose, but it seems to be working out well. At the top of the hill I see ahead of me three girls huddled together. As I get almost ready to pass, the middle one sweetly says "Good morning." Now, what do you think of that?

Influence can be good and it can be bad. I'm old enough to know better. This young girl reminded the invisible old woman to mind her manners despite her surroundings.

No comments: